Werribee Primary School has a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Program in Years 5 & 6. The BYOD Program means families are invited to supply an iPad for their own child. It is not compulsory, however we encourage all families to participate.
Personal devices allow greater access for purposeful use - Students are able to create, save and share their learning as needed and are not restricted by shared devices. Currently students only have access to a shared bank of iPads for around 3 hours per week.
- WHY HAVE A 1:1 PROGRAM?
- WHAT DEVICE?
- WHICH IPADS ARE ACCEPTABLE?
- WHERE CAN I PURCHASE AN IPAD?
- DO I NEED A CASE?
- HOW SECURE WILL MY CHILD’S DEVICE BE AT SCHOOL?
- DOES MY CHILD NEED AN ITUNES ACCOUNT?
- WHAT APPS DO WE NEED TO PURCHASE?
- WHAT ABOUT PERSONAL CONTENT?
- WHAT IF MY CHILD DOESN’T HAVE AN IPAD?
A BYOD program allows students have an exceptional learning tool at their fingertips, whenever it is needed.
- Builds necessary skills by using a range of different technologies, online and ICT skills.
- Promotes creativity and effective communication - Students will create, demonstrate and share their learning in a variety of formats. E.g. drawings, digital stories, video recordings, audio recordings etc.
- It will allow us to continue to develop safe, responsible and ethical digital citizens that are equipped for the ever-evolving digital world.
Werribee Primary School’s byod designated device is the Apple iPad. The school made this decision based on research and feedback from other schools.
Our research told us:
- ~ 95% of students in our trial year levels have access to the internet at home.
- ~ 98% have access to a device at home.
- ~ 84% have an iPad they use at home.
- The vast majority (generally around 75%) of our Year 6 graduates, will attend Werribee Secondary College, which also runs a BYOD Program.
- Students have had access to shared iPads at WPS since 2013.
The iPad is portable, providing a tool for anywhere, anytime learning. It offers exceptional battery life of over 10 hours use, when fully charged.
We use Mobile Device Management (MDM) program called JAMF Pro. This program allows:
- BYOD iPads to connect to the schools secured wireless internet.
- WPS to provide applications to BYOD iPads.
For optimal compatibility, we can only accept devices that support IOS 13.
The iPad 8th Gen (2019) / Mini 6th Gen (2019) or newer will be compatible. We recommend that iPads have a minimum of 64 GB storage.
iPads can be purchased from most stores that stock electronics. Apple, JB Hifi, Kmart, Big W and Harvey Norman, just to name a few.
We have engaged JB HiFi to provide a Parent Purchasing Portal to our school community. They offer education discounts on iPads as well as options for cases, insurance and extended warranty. The Parent Purchasing Portal can be accessed through the School in Action Tab or the link at the bottom of the page.
We strongly recommend purchasing an iPad case that fully protects the iPad. We have used cases such as the Gumdrop Hideaway and Pelican Voyager for our shared iPads at school. While expensive at around $80, they provide excellent protection.
HOW SECURE WILL MY CHILD’S DEVICE BE AT SCHOOL?
Students are expected to bring their iPads to school fully charged each day and taken home each night. Students will keep their iPad with them in their classroom or specialist area. When not in use, iPads will be kept in a safe lockable space.
Our school insurance does not cover students’ personal belongings for damage or theft. We suggest that parents check with their Insurance company for cover. We will ensure that part of the BYOD program will involve discussion and education to reduce the risk of theft and damage.
DOES MY CHILD NEED AN ITUNES ACCOUNT?
The minimum age requirement for an iTunes account is 13. This means students will need to use their parent’s iTunes account or enable Family Sharing. With Family Sharing, you can create Apple IDs for children under 13.
“Children under 13 can't create an Apple ID on their own. However, as a parent or legal guardian, the family organiser can provide verified parental consent for a child to have their own Apple ID, then create it on the child’s behalf.” - Apple Support
WHAT APPS DO WE NEED TO PURCHASE?
None. We will supply all students in the program with the apps they will need for educational use via our MDM.
WHAT ABOUT PERSONAL CONTENT?
We understand that the iPad is a personal device and may contain games and personal content. The iPad will be the student’s tool to assist them with their learning. They are to be used for educational purposes at school. We will have an Acceptable Use Agreement in place and expect all students to meet those expectations. Consequences are already in place if students break this agreement.
WHAT IF MY CHILD DOESN’T HAVE AN IPAD?
If your child does not have an iPad they will not miss out. We will provide them with a shared device while they are at school, however it will not be able to be taken home.
For more information please visit the following pages
We thank you for your support,
ICT, Assessment & Reporting