- WHY IMPLEMENT A 1:1 PROGRAM?
- WHAT DEVICE?
- WHICH IPADS ARE ACCEPTABLE?
- WHERE CAN I PURCHASE AN IPAD?
- DO I NEED A CASE?
- HOW SECURE WILL MY CHILD’S DEVICE BE AT SCHOOL?
- IS WPS READY FOR A BYOD PROGRAM?
- DOES MY CHILD NEED AN ITUNES ACCOUNT?
- WHAT APPS DO WE NEED TO PURCHASE?
- WHAT ABOUT PERSONAL CONTENT?
- WHAT IF MY CHILD DOESN’T HAVE AN IPAD?
A BYOD program students have an exceptional learning tool at their fingertips, whenever it is needed.
- Builds necessary skills by using a range of different technologies, online and ICT skills.
- Promotes creativity and effective communication - Students will create, demonstrate and share their learning in a variety of formats. E.g. drawings, digital stories, video recordings, audio recordings etc.
- It will allow us to continue to develop safe, responsible and ethical digital citizens that are equipped for the ever-evolving digital world.
Werribee Primary School’s device of choice is the Apple iPad. This choice was based on research and feedback from other schools.
Our research told us:
- ~ 95% of students in our trial year levels have access to the internet at home.
- ~ 98% have access to a device at home.
- ~ 84% have an iPad they use at home.
- Of our current Year 6 students, more than 75% will attend Werribee Secondary College, which also runs a BYOD Program.
- Students have used shared iPads at WPS for the last 5 years.
The iPad is portable, providing a tool for anywhere, anytime learning. It offers exceptional battery life of over 10 hours use, when fully charged.
We use Mobile Device Management (MDM) program called JAMF Pro. This program allows:
- BYOD iPads to connect to the schools secured wireless internet.
- WPS to provide applications to BYOD iPads.
For optimal compatibility, we can only accept devices that support IOS 11. The iPad Air (2013) and iPad Mini 2 (2013) are the oldest iPad versions that support iOS 11 and will be compatible. We recommend that iPads have a minimum of 32 GB storage.
iPads can be purchased from most stores that stock electronics. Apple, JB Hifi, Kmart, Big W and Harvey Norman, just to name a few. The Apple Store offers an education discount for students.
We have engaged ASI Solutions to provide a Parent Purchasing Portal. They also offer education discounts on iPads as well as options for insurance and extended warranty. The Parent Purchasing Portal can be accessed throught the School in Action Tab or the link at the bottom of the page.
We strongly recommend purchasing an iPad case that fully protects the iPad. We have used cases such as the Gumdrop Hideaway and Pelican Voyager for our shared iPads at school. While expensive at around $80, they provide excellent protection.
Students are expected to bring their iPads to school fully charged each day and taken home each night. Students will keep their iPad with them in their classroom or specialist area. When not in use, iPads will be kept in a safe lockable space.
Our school insurance does not cover students’ personal belongings for damage or theft. We suggest that parents check with their Insurance company for cover. We will ensure that part of the BYOD program will involve discussion and education to reduce the risk of theft and damage.
We have invested heavily into our network, hardware and teacher development over the past 18 months in preparation. We have installed Wireless Access Points (WAPs) in all rooms. Our teachers and education support staff are equipped with laptops and iPads. Our Digital Technologies team has prepared and delivered multiple hours of professional development to all staff. They have developed a scope and sequence to teach the Digital Technologies curriculum. This team are leading technology use throughout the school.
The minimum age requirement for an iTunes account is 13. This means students will need to use their parent’s iTunes account or enable Family Sharing. With Family Sharing, you can create Apple IDs for children under 13.
“Children under 13 can't create an Apple ID on their own. However, as a parent or legal guardian, the family organiser can provide verified parental consent for a child to have their own Apple ID, then create it on the child’s behalf.” - Apple Support
None, during the trial. We will supply all students in the program with the apps they will need for educational use via our MDM.
WHAT ABOUT PERSONAL CONTENT?
We understand that the iPad is a personal device and may contain games and personal content. The iPad will be the student’s tool to assist them with their learning. They are to be used for educational purposes at school. We will have an Acceptable Use Agreement in place and expect all students to meet those expectations. Consequences are already in place if students break this agreement.
If your child does not have an iPad they will not miss out. We will provide them with a shared device while they are at school, however it will not be able to be taken home.
For more information please visit the following pages
We thank you for your support,
Leading Teacher – ICT, Assessment & Reporting